Neglecting either your home or business’ drains can lead to a wide range of problems. Most property owners are guilty of disposing unsuitable waste down their drains. These kinds of waste can cause serious issues, from blockages to permanent damage. It is even possible for your attitude to your drains to cause damage to other people’s property or health. There was a recent example of an elderly woman suffering a serious ankle injury due to cooking oil leaking up from public drains in Kent. As such, CCTV drain surveys are essential when it comes to preventing these issues from becoming serious.
Here at Drain Smart, we can provide a complete range of CCTV camera inspections for your drains. This can not only help you to avoid damage to your property, it can prevent your drains from causing issues for anyone else. If it is discovered, for example, whose cooking oil emerged from the public drains, they may be liable to prosecution. Our drainage team can help you to eliminate these ensure and make sure that you not harming yourself, anyone else or damaging your property with your drainage use.
What are the Risks of Neglecting Your Drains?
If you fail to care for your drains in the correct manner, you could be contributing to a wide range of problems. Your drainage system is an important part of your property. Failing to take care of your drain pipes and the system as a whole will, eventually, require costly repairs.
If you choose to neglect your drains, you could suffer from a wide range of issues. Blockages, cracked drain pipes, collapsed drains even simple fractures in the pipe’s lining can lead to serious issues. Some of the worst issues that you might encounter after neglecting to care for your drains include:
- Permanent Structural Damage – If you neglect your drains, it is possible for escaping waste and water to cause structural damage. This can happen in a variety of ways. For example, escaping water close to your property can cause damp or mould to develop in vulnerable areas of your home or business.It is also possible for escaping water to cause damage to your foundations. As water enters and escapes the earth around your foundations, it can cause the dirt to swell and shrink. This can cause pressure to grow around the foundations. In some cases, it can even lead to your home or business’ foundations to shift in place.
- Waste Backwashing – It is possible for some issues, such as blockages, to cause your waste to move backwards through your system. This can lead to waste and waste water escaping from sinkholes, toilets and external drains. In most cases, this will direct your property directly. However, if your waste contributes towards a blockage in a public pipeline, it can lead to issues such as those encountered by the elderly woman in Kent.
Your waste, whether it is human, cooking or any other form of waste, can lead to serious issues. It can not only be a health hazard, it can directly cause accidents in the area around your property. Neglecting to care for your drains can make you liable for injury to other people and even their property.
What Kinds of Waste Should You Keep Out Of Your Drainage System?
There are many different kinds of waste which can lead to serious issues in your drainage system. These kinds of waste will often remain in your drain pipes as they cannot be broken down or passed on correctly. As such, blockages and other issues can be extremely common. They can, however, be difficult to identify without reliable CCTV drain surveys. Some of the waste types which you need to keep out of your system include:
- Kitchen Rolls and Baby Wipes – These waste types will not break apart in the same way as toilet paper. As such, they can clump together and lead to serious blockages.
- Fats, Oils and Greases (FOG Waste) – In addition to creating health hazards, FOG waste is present in almost every blockage. If you’re struggling to see even a little bit of FOG waste as an issue, why not visit a slice of the giant Fatberg currently on display at the Museum of London? Fats, oils and greases are some of the most serious problems that modern drainage systems are forced to deal with.
- Feminine Products – Feminine products are another kind of waste which will not dissolve in your drainage system. As such, they will remain in place and can easily create serious blockages.
- Human Hair and Soap Scum – Human hair and soap scum from sinks and showers / baths are a common cause of drainage issues. They can easily get tangled with other kinds of waste, leading to large blockages, held together by strong human hair.
CCTV Drain Surveys for Homes and Businesses in the UK
Here at Drain Smart, we can provide industry-leading CCTV drain surveys. These CCTV camera inspections are the first step in eliminating issues in your drains and ensuring that they work as they need to. Our experienced team of drainage engineers can use our high-quality equipment to identify issues and eliminate any problems you might encounter with your drains. In addition to simple blockages, these CCTV drain surveys can be used to identify damage to drains, including tree root intrusion, pipe damage and collapsed drains.
How Are CCTV Drain Surveys Carried Out?
The drainage engineers will arrive at your property and insert the CCTV camera into your drains. They will then carefully manoeuvre the camera throughout your drainage system. The camera will transmit a live feed to the engineers, who will investigate your entire system. If your drains are struggling due to blockages, cracked drains or any other issue, CCTV drain surveys can be used to quickly identify them.
In addition to revealing what issues are plaguing your system, CCTV drain surveys will also reveal their exact location. This will allow you and your drainage engineers to choose how best to resolve them. Once the nature and location of your drainage issues has been identified, there are several treatments which could be recommended. These can include:
- Drain Cleaning, including:
- Drain Rodding.
- High-Pressure Water-Jetting.
- Drain Lining.
- Pitch Fibre Reforming.
- Drain Pipe Replacement.
For CCTV Drain Surveys, Get in Touch With Drain Smart Today
Here at Drain Smart, our experienced drainage engineers can help you to avoid structural damage and health risks. Thanks to our CCTV camera inspection services, you’ll be able to understand any problems with your system. Our team can also provide a complete range of service to help you ensure that your drainage are operating as efficiently and safely as possible.
For more information on our industry-leading CCTV drain surveys and camera inspection services, get in touch today. You can reach our experienced team today by calling us directly on 0800 740 8040. You could also use our simple online contact form, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.